HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Share | 

Wheel of Time Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pantherus
Guru

PostSubject: Wheel of Time Thread   Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:06 am

Anyone here read or reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

Originally to be 12 books, Jordan sadly passed away before the 12th book could be completed. Brandon Sanderson, a colleague of sorts, was asked by Jordan's wife to complete the series using Jordan's pre-written notes and dictations, as well as the already written grand finale of the story. It was decided that the 12th book was going to be so big that it itself is to be split up into 3 further books - technically stretching the entire series to 14 books. The first part of book 12 has only somewhat recently been published and released and, it's purchase prompted me to pick up where I had left off in the 11th book - the Knife of Dreams - in just over a week I am about 3/4 of the way through it (540 pages thus far) and thoroughly enjoying it.

Told from the points of view of a variety of characters and ever changing, The Wheel of Time tells the story of the Prophecies of the Dragon coming true, heralding the final battle of Darkness and Light.

It's incredibly well written, although it can get a little tedious at times, and often reaches that "can't put it down" status.

So anyone else out there partaken in this fabulous source of literature - or am I preching to nobody? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
TheFeldster
Legend

PostSubject: Re: Wheel of Time Thread   Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:10 am

I've read all up until the ones which hadn't been released a while ago (including the prelude "New Spring"), and then the Author died and my memory went out the window a bit so I forgot what had happened. So I'm rereading the whole lot from "Eye of the World"

I think it's probably the most enjoyable series of books I have ever read

All bow to Robert Jordan Bowdown
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pantherus
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Wheel of Time Thread   Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:20 am

It's great how it's one of those series where you can actually start again right from Book 1 eh? I own them all except for the first two (Eye of the World and The Great Hunt) so just started at Book 3 and still loving it Smile
Back to top Go down
a_F_c
Legend

PostSubject: Re: Wheel of Time Thread   Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:58 pm

If im honest ive never heard of the series lol. Going by both of your comments on it I may have to try and find it next time im in a book shop though haha Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/jimmy131289
TheFeldster
Legend

PostSubject: Re: Wheel of Time Thread   Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:57 pm

Pantherus wrote:
It's great how it's one of those series where you can actually start again right from Book 1 eh? I own them all except for the first two (Eye of the World and The Great Hunt) so just started at Book 3 and still loving it Smile

Yeah, it's really great. For me, one of the great charms is that instead of 2 major characters and a lot of minor characters it seems to have about 10 or more major characters, which is a plus for me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheFeldster
Legend

PostSubject: Re: Wheel of Time Thread   Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:13 pm

a_F_c wrote:
If im honest ive never heard of the series lol. Going by both of your comments on it I may have to try and find it next time im in a book shop though haha Smile

You'd love it, seriously, do check it out.

We can start a cult on TFW of Wheel of Time fans pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pantherus
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Wheel of Time Thread   Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:37 pm

Hell yeah Smile

It's a really good weave (and that term is quite ironic as you'll understand once you read the book) of Action, Adventure, Drama, Comedy, Magic, Fantasy, Spirituality, Philosophy...

It's not everyone's cup of tea - especially those who can't handle long books - but it's worth a shot Smile

Fortunately it's first book is a great adventure in itself so it's a really good stepping stone into the series as a whole for new acolytes to start with - unlike some books where the first book is so so but ones after it are really great, because often people read the first, don't like it, and scrap the rest.
Back to top Go down
Ashes
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Wheel of Time Thread   Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:21 am

TheFeldster wrote:
I've read all up until the ones which hadn't been released a while ago (including the prelude "New Spring"), and then the Author died and my memory went out the window a bit so I forgot what had happened. So I'm rereading the whole lot from "Eye of the World"

All bow to Robert Jordan :bow:

Totally outrageous nothing beats Harry Potter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheFeldster
Legend

PostSubject: Re: Wheel of Time Thread   Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:35 am

Ashes wrote:
TheFeldster wrote:

All bow to Robert Jordan Bowdown

Totally outrageous nothing beats Harry Potter

Razz I'll admit to being a fan of the Harry Potter franchise, but it's literally child's play compared to the Wheel of Time cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pantherus
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Wheel of Time Thread   Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:42 am

Agreed Smile
Back to top Go down
TheFeldster
Legend

PostSubject: Re: Wheel of Time Thread   Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:04 am

Just reached the half-way point of Book 1 in my re-reading (not a bad record for 4 days, I reckon, considering I was out for 2 of them)

Very enjoyable Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheFeldster
Legend

PostSubject: Re: Wheel of Time Thread   Fri May 21, 2010 11:24 am

*bumpity bump*

Well, in between Uni and what not, I've just finished reading Book 12, which is where the series is up to.

Wooowee. The 12th book was epic. Can't wait for the next installment. Just cemented itself in place as my favourite story of all-time Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smashedmirror704
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Wheel of Time Thread   Fri May 21, 2010 11:28 am

what a ridiculously long series
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheFeldster
Legend

PostSubject: Re: Wheel of Time Thread   Fri May 21, 2010 11:35 am

smashedmirror704 wrote:
what a ridiculously long series

The thing with that is, with most series more than 3 books or so long, the story can drag on a bit, trying to just look big. This one doesn't do that. It's just that the storyline is so complex that they couldn't fit it into a reasonable sized series. It just flows so well, and it just works at that length (which, I admit, I had my doubts about when I first started the series)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheFeldster
Legend

PostSubject: Re: Wheel of Time Thread   Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Just finished the 13th and penultimate book in the series, [it]Towers of Midnight[/i].

Absolutely amazing. I figured it would be a huge stretch to top Book 12. I was wrong. It effortlessly threw what I once regarded as the greatest book I'd ever read to the ground and took everything to the next level.

Now I really can't wait until the 14th book is released. Damn, this is going to be a hard year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pantherus
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Wheel of Time Thread   Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:34 am

lol I'd forgotten about this thread. Got book 13 for Xmas and devoured it in about 2 weeks - so awesome. I'm loving these loose ends being tied up as some things were really starting to frustrate me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheel of Time Thread   

Back to top Go down

Wheel of Time Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Other Discussions :: Off Topic-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Free forum