HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Share | 

The Forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Tank
Guru

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:10 am

Sparky_Hughes wrote:
My Tips: And yes it's a bit hard when I'm on the iPhone haha. Computer still is rooted. Anyway.
From the NFL tips thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
liam_bombers
Guru

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:16 am

Tank wrote:
Sparky_Hughes wrote:
My Tips: And yes it's a bit hard when I'm on the iPhone haha. Computer still is rooted. Anyway.
From the NFL tips thread.

And I remember he posted in another thread saying how his computer was stuffed. But we all should be posting more, there isn't just one person on the forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SBW
Guru

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:09 am

This place is dying. What to do?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TealDevils
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:47 am

Needs something Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.otc-forums.com
merkaus
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:20 am

Well firstly I would suggest having the e-mails this place sends out fixed. There is no spacing etc in the e-mails and so getting your actual re-activation code and password are a little difficult and could stop old members who don't really read and want the links presented to them from posting here again.

While this site has done well "in the past" the fact is that times are changing and while "I like the banner" posts are a good confident booster the real fact is times are changing rapidly which means that TFWForums needs to improve with the times.

It is hard to do on forumotion as I know they only offer phpbb however there are many bigger and better things out there if people are looking in the right direction.

The fact is this site in it's hey day was awesome, since then posts have dropped and so something needs to be done. It can't only be blamed on us members but also in a way the admin team who have sat back and let technology pass us by waving at it as it goes and believing our membership base will get us through it.

Some changes to the site, launching twitter/facebook pages etc and a major overhaul (no point opening twitter/facebook until after the overhaul) will help us reach out to new members - the thing is it may sound stupid but other sites are to the point now where you can login with facebook/twitter accounts you can like/tweet things straight from their boards which then reaches out to other sport fans.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sports-force.net.au
Pantherus
Guru

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:27 am

merkaus wrote:
Well firstly I would suggest having the e-mails this place sends out fixed. There is no spacing etc in the e-mails and so getting your actual re-activation code and password are a little difficult and could stop old members who don't really read and want the links presented to them from posting here again.

While this site has done well "in the past" the fact is that times are changing and while "I like the banner" posts are a good confident booster the real fact is times are changing rapidly which means that TFWForums needs to improve with the times.

It is hard to do on forumotion as I know they only offer phpbb however there are many bigger and better things out there if people are looking in the right direction.

The fact is this site in it's hey day was awesome, since then posts have dropped and so something needs to be done. It can't only be blamed on us members but also in a way the admin team who have sat back and let technology pass us by waving at it as it goes and believing our membership base will get us through it.

Some changes to the site, launching twitter/facebook pages etc and a major overhaul (no point opening twitter/facebook until after the overhaul) will help us reach out to new members - the thing is it may sound stupid but other sites are to the point now where you can login with facebook/twitter accounts you can like/tweet things straight from their boards which then reaches out to other sport fans.

You're a fuckwit - did you know that?

Maybe read the name of the person you're emailing with your bullshit advertising to make sure you're sending it to the actual Site Administrator instead of one of the members.

In saying that - you can feel free to F*** off and not come back - sound good princess?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
merkaus
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:40 am

I don't know what was wrong with suggesting twitter/facebook intergration. This is where the changing of the times has moved everything.

The Final Whistle Forums has a facebook page which hasn't had a post for a while, and so some more posting there. Giving members the ability to like a topic on here (which will then show it on their profile page) will reach out to other potential members.

For example if I liked a post in the rugby league confirmed signings thread it would immediately post it on my Facebook profile page, which is then more free advertising for TFWForum as everyone who is my friends will see it, they may not have heard about a certain players signing and would click the link to read what is written - which is then a new visitor to the site, with some improvements this site may catch their interest and it would result in a new member.

But hey if this site is pumping away there is no need for this thread at all then, and no need for suggestions to be made which makes the last five pages pointless.

I don't know what advertising you are talking about but hey I come here to try and help with ideas/suggestions to improve it only to get retarded responses like yours. I don't see any meaningful contributions by you in this thread on how to improve it.

So suck it princess, realize this site needs all of it's members to contribute, it needs all of it's members to make suggestions and ideas. Otherwise it will stay where it is on the decline.
Back to top Go down
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:22 am

Laughing You tell him Prus. Funny how someone pays out the site that isn't even an active member, why would he care. I do agree we need a new banner though but we all suck at it.

XOXO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pantherus
Guru

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:34 am

merkaus wrote:
I don't know what advertising you are talking about but hey I come here to try and help with ideas/suggestions to improve it only to get retarded responses like yours. I don't see any meaningful contributions by you in this thread on how to improve it.

So suck it princess, realize this site needs all of it's members to contribute, it needs all of it's members to make suggestions and ideas. Otherwise it will stay where it is on the decline.

You sent me a PM pushing for a merger of TFW to your, so obviously superior, forum site. Then proceeded to push the sale of various kinds of alternate Forum platforms with two prices quoted to the value of hundreds of dollars. Obviously you intended it to go to Panthers rather than myself. I deleted it under the assumption it was just spam (certainly had the same consistency) but I see it was a deliberate post from an upstart member "looking out for the good of our forum" who thinks he knows better than everyone - of course, as your signature states, you're an "expert"... Rolling Eyes

Do you even know how and why this forum came into existence? I doubt it.

Almost every single founding member of this forum was on Sportal which degenerated into a cesspool of abuse and idiocy - so a few guys made this forum and more and more of us moved over to get away from the crap that has infested Sportal. Do you know why Sportal is so god-awful? TOO. MANY. MEMBERS. The more members you have, the more chance of morons sticking their noses in and thinking they're better than everyone else - much like yourself!
Back to top Go down
merkaus
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:45 am

I don't remember contacting you. And do apologize if I did. I have spoken to Panthers in the past about a merger and itwas close to going through however we couldn't extract members/posts and so backed out of it all.

I did send him a pm recently stating that my site had changed forum software and I was willing to give him the old software we used (vBulletin) and the paid addons we had which included a custom made fantasy cricket and rugby league script (as they are not compatible with the new forum software) for free as that forum software includes many of what is suggested throughout the past five pages.

I have not once said my site was better and so you seem to be nothing more than a troll - someone looking for an argument.

I offered the stuff to Panthers, and stated that there was now a way for him to get the members and posts from the site so he could reinjuvinate this website and move forward on a better forum software.

The only time I have mentioned anything is better than this is the forum software to phpbb which is what this site uses.

Please feel free to stand off your high horse any time soon, not everyone is the devil. I had stuff that I am never going to use again and was willing to give it all for free - transfer the ownership etc to Panthers (and assist in getting his members and posts from here if he needed it) to continue the growth of TFWForums.

My website - just for the point of your made up argument is a news portal that happens to have a forum attached to it. Our number one focus is news and information and only IF people want to talk about sport do they have to venture into the forums.

I do not push my forums, do not advertise them, all of our business cards, magnets, stickers, letter heads etc all mention, feature and only ever direct people to our news portal nothing else.

And that is how I know you are doing nothing but making up sh!t just for the cause of an argument because I don't push my forums I push our news and information.
Back to top Go down
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:47 am

Do you have a link to your old forum?

XOXO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
merkaus
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:56 am

No as I over-wrote the entire old forum with our new site. However this is the software that it has: https://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=features - it is the Publishing Suite software, with branding free purchased.

Not to mention an updated version of the fantasy cricket script that is used on: http://www.world-a-team.com/fantasycricket/ (I paid for the guy who created that script to create one for the new version of the software and we were the only site to have it.)

This is what the forum software is like: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum.php however with about 20minutes of work can have something completely unique, and they also have vbulletin.org which is filled with website addons.

As you can see from my site I have moved away from vBulletin to invision power services (http://www.invisionpower.com/) and have absolutely no use for the vBulletin stuff AT ALL - and none of their stuff works on Invision Power.

I thought I was coming here, seem Panthers and I were close to a deal in the past, and doing the right thing by offering to transfer all ownership of those licenses to him for free however have both you and sh!t-for-brains attacking me for attempting to help out a website and help ensure you guys continue to grow.

Did either of you think that with spending 16 hours a day working - YES WORKING on my site organizing advertising, organizing marketing, writing articles working on improvements etc that I wouldn't like to come to a website that wasn't mine, that I wouldn't need to do anything on and just share my thoughts and talk about sport without having to be completely Politically Correct?

That is why I first signed up here, due to the dealings in the past with Panthers is the reason the first place I came was to this site to offer that stuff to him.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:04 am

You know what? You're right, I'm wrong and I apologise.

I clearly didn't read your PM properly (yes, you did send it to me by mistake - so you might want to re-send it) and got the wrong end of the stick. I do feel you've come here trying to be the knight in shining armour to save us miserable cretins from our budget little forum but maybe that's not your attitude at all and I've just interpreted it wrong - mea culpa.

We're a small forum, and we're proud of the community we have here. With the exception of occasional organisers and various flurries of activities, this place has never really been more than a hobby and place of amusement for us - and that includes Panthers (correct me if I'm wrong mate).
Back to top Go down
merkaus
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:10 am

That's fine I will move on, I saw this thread asking for suggestions reading through the suggestions I thought the other forum software actually covered most of what was suggested, and then some and that is why I was coming here to offer it all.

I apologize for stepping on toes, I was here trying to help but now I will do what the majority of other members do and that is not make suggestions, not try to help just post in the threads I want to and leave.

I apologize for attempting to help.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:27 am

Send your PM to Panthers and see what he says.

I've acknowledged my response was wrong (personal issues causing me to do a bit of that at work as well so it's nothing personal) so no need to keep getting defensive about it.
Back to top Go down
merkaus
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:05 am

I love supporting, helping and contributing to small forums. As I strongly believe in community atmosphere - the way the world is now it's hard to find a few people in the street you live in to have a few drinks with to watch the footy or cricket.

When forums first started popping up it was something new, something where you could talk about sport hear others opinions and really create bonds/friendships etc.

Which is why it has always pissed me off when big money corporations have launched big giant boards with hundred of thousands of dollars in backing, with radio/television adverts etc.

I prefer small, compact style forums where you can strike those friendships, where you can have your different opinions and while sometimes things get nasty you still respect each other as at the end of the day your both fans of the same sporting codes etc.

And that is why I did come here originally and asked Panthers about a merge, when that fell through (due to issues stated earlier) I let things be done with, and now that I have moved software it is the community atmosphere that made me come back and offer almost $1500 worth of licenses to this site to finally break the shackles, to live up to it's potential, to reach out to the social media worlds etc and more or less while still remaining the same at the same time being able to add some cool functions to the site, some cool little features for everyone to enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Boomer
Guru

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:59 pm

I'll definitely have a crack at a new banner once my exams are over in a couple of weeks ay. I made the one that's up now so might even be able to find the original Photoshop files and just update it if everyone is happy with the way it is - just change the players?

Re: Merkaus, that is a pretty generous offer of all that software - worth looking into at least probably admin? I'm pretty happy with the current layout but who knows, vbulletin might be great with a bit of customisation.

Also a question Merkaus - the licenses that you are offering, are they for a fixed period? I.e. will they expire at which point we will have to cough up some cash?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:02 pm

Awesome Boomer that would be great Grin I'm happy with it like you said just needs some fresh players.

XOXO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
merkaus
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:24 pm

Sorry was about to head to bed and thought I would drop in. In regards to the licenses they are all owned which means that you install it and can run it for the next 100 years if you wanted to - the only time you ever have to pay is when they next release a major upgrade.

At the moment they have released vBulletin 4 (which is the software advertised) for the next 6-12 months they will be releasing upgrades to it, etc the only time you guys will ever have to pay anything is whenever they release vBulletin 5 (which could be 6 months or 3 years away no one knows) however with that it is only if you guys want to upgrade to that software.

If you install vBulletin 4 as it is and are happy with it and don't see the need to upgrade then you wont have to pay anything and can continue using it for as long as you want.

If you all decide to chip in and pay for vB5 then you wont need to pay anything again until vB6 comes out which again could be 6months to 3-4 years.

It's really a case of what the community want, if you guys are happy with vb4 then you never have to upgrade (which means don't have to pay money) they are up to 4.1.7 (version number) I purchased the license when vb4 was first released - normally they go all the way through 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6 etc right up to 4.9.9 before vB5 is released.

All the upgrades fix bugs (which is evident on all forum software) and introduce new features. Their licensing is hard to explain but short answer is NO you wont have to pay anything if you like the software you have, you can use it for the rest of this sites life.

If down the track you guys decide/feel the site could do with a major upgrade (I am talking 5 years time or something) then yes there will be an upgrade fee IF vbulletin 5 has been released - any upgrades between now and vBulletin 5 are completely free.

Back to top Go down
Stoke
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:56 am

Just beware - I post on cricsim forums, which merk scammed into giving him a certain amount of money for 'permanent server hostings' - he came there as the saviour of the forums, they took him on board, and he destroyed it, taking their money and leaving them without a server so they lost all their scripts and posts (in the millions) - they lost everything, and the forum was out for months. It's only just recovered from merkgate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
merkaus
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:15 am

Please beware that Stoke has only told you part of the truth - in his continued vendetta against me.

The fact is, and this has been explained to them even from their owner but they choose to make a scape goat in me, is they were running a nulled/pirated/illegal version of vBulletin. vBulletin's piracy team Pirate Reports contacted the webhost and asked for them to remove the pirated software which is why the site closed down.

TWICE I have offered to repay the money, which would come from me personally seem I got no refund from their host due to them breaching the terms and conditions of being hosted by them and instead of being taken up on the offer, which was extended both in public and to the sites owner I received death threats, was told that I am lucky my child has curly hair so I can grab onto it while f***ing his face and other derogitory comments.

Due to this I e-mailed the owner once more and offered a refund, as I said from my personal account despite them breaching their terms and conditions from being hosted elsewhere, and this was either A) Ignored or B) It was turned down by their administrators as they knew they had done the wrong thing.

However still to this day I am made the scape goat for their site running illegal software.

I like how stoke tries to make it out like it only happened recently it was almost four years ago, and numerous attempts have been made to please them however most of them resort to following me around on other websites bad mouthing me, sending me death threats or make the comments such as those listed above.

Panthers can inform you that after weighing up the discussions yesterday I did not push any further with this, it was an offer that was clearly not well received and so I didn't waste my time passing it on.

I have come up with comments and ideas to improve this site using the software it already has.

Now I would be interested in the next lot of BS that Stoke is going to post, because anyone who was at the site have been informed by their own Robert Cribb that the demise of the old cricsim was not my fault, that they were offered their money back and also a copy of their database.

He also informed them that I had no knowledge of the downfall until my website was spammed by their immature members with their death threats saying I had scammed them - however it's a point they continue to refuse to acknowledge instead making a scape goat out of me.
Back to top Go down
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:19 am

To be honest i can't see what a new layout, software whatever you call it is going to achieve anyway.

XOXO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
merkaus
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:25 am

Exactly which is why I didn't contact Panthers,
After the discussions yesterday and looking at phpbbhacks.com I saw that most of what was mentioned can be done on here.

I still think a new/updated banner, MAYBE a bit of a color change eg: Sporty type of background instead of the grey and trying to incorporate social media would actually do this site a world of good.

It made good progress by launching a facebook page however that hasn't been posted in for ages, but to get that and a twitter account just to continue reaching out to sporting fans would be the ideal way to go.

As I said after yesterday's discussions I decided not to push ahead and therefore did not contact panthers instead just leaving my original ideas.
Back to top Go down
TealDevils
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:14 am

We're better off staying here and just trying to repair the place. And if what Stoke says is right, we're left in ruin after years of hard work. And as Becks said, updated software will do sweet F*** all. We just need a fresh input of members, try and bring back some old ones, and get everything in order.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.otc-forums.com
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:16 am

all could be solved if Caity would agree to let us use a nude shot of her as the banner.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Forum   

Back to top Go down

The Forum
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Final Whistle News :: Suggestions-
Jump to:  
Forumotion.com | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Create a forum on Forumotion