HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Share | 

All money and no passion

Go down 
AuthorMessage
socceroos06
Guru

PostAll money and no passion

My passion for sport has never been so high. I love getting up in the early hours of the morning to see my favorite teams play. And win lose or draw, I will do it all again the very next week. But I guess my love for sports, particularly football, has dented a little bit. In recent times it has been all about the money and you don't find all that many players now that play in pride of their badge.

A pure example is that of Manchester City. Their squad is packed of greedy, money hogs who have no passion for their team and are just looking for that large pay check at the end of the week. And what about Cristiano Ronaldo, he declared his love for Manchester United but departed for Real Madrid a month later. Rich owners of Europe's big footballing clubs are hurting football and getting rid of the loyalty that should be in the game.

It is becoming an issue in world football and I think it will soon have an affect on fans in the future. Maybe I am over-reacting, and football is as great as it has ever been, I don't know...

Last edited by socceroos06 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

All money and no passion :: Comments

Re: All money and no passion
Post on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:41 pm by Sprooly
more of a rant then a blog
Post on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:43 pm by socceroos06
Maybe so, but just just trying to get the point across
Post on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:02 pm by Hendo Maroon
That's a fair rant. I hate how money is such a major factor in sport these days and as you said football is leading the way. Is there any loyalty in that code? Wasn't it Arsenal who only recently went out with a side with not 1 english player in it?

Thankfully other codes aren't quite as bad, mainly due to salary caps.
Post on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:16 am by socceroos06
Yeah the salary cap in league, union etc is what keeps that loyalty. And even then, some players leave the country to chase the money, just like sonny Bill.
Post on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:57 am by smashedmirror704
Hendo Maroon wrote:
That's a fair rant. I hate how money is such a major factor in sport these days and as you said football is leading the way. Is there any loyalty in that code? Wasn't it Arsenal who only recently went out with a side with not 1 english player in it?

yeah Arsenal regularly play with no English players in the side. I don't know about the salary cap thing, I mean look at the NBA where the cap is enormous and good players are getting traded all over the place in exchange for rubbish ones so teams have a chance to get a free agent in the off-season.
Post on Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:11 am by TGBY
Hendo Maroon wrote:

yeh but i dont know what that has to do with money???

arsenal are far from a money driven club, if players were after massive paychecks, tehy wouldnt be playing for arsenal, weve got 1 player in the top 50 paid players in the world.
Post on Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:15 am by Fuzzy
Blame capitalism.
Post on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:49 am by Hendo Maroon
TGBY wrote:
Hendo Maroon wrote:

arsenal are far from a money driven club, if players were after massive paychecks, tehy wouldnt be playing for arsenal, weve got 1 player in the top 50 paid players in the world.

To do with money??? well the foreign players they've paid huge money for are taking the spots of English players. Completely kills loyalty for a team, those players will go to wherever the best money is . That's what it has to do with money.
Post on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:51 am by philly
Hendo Maroon wrote:
TGBY wrote:
Hendo Maroon wrote:

To do with money??? well the foreign players they've paid huge money for are taking the spots of English players. Completely kills loyalty for a team, those players will go to wherever the best money is . That's what it has to do with money.
That shows how little you know about soccer.

Arsenal paid s***-all for their overseas players and when they were bought English players were at other clubs earning the big bucks.
However, Arsenal's youth teams have alot of future English starts.
Post on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:54 am by TGBY
Hendo Maroon wrote:
TGBY wrote:
Hendo Maroon wrote:

In some cases yes, but i was talkin particularly about Arsenal.

If it was all about money, Fabregas, Arshavin and Van Persie would be long gone. It was all about money for Adebayor, hence his move to Man City, but Arsenal isnt as money driven as clubs like Chelsea, Man City, Real Madrid. So yes you have a point, but no i dont think your evaluation of Arsenals situation is valid
Post on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:58 am by Hendo Maroon
fair enough. I'm the first to admit I don't have a good football knowledge (and proud of it Very Happy ) I was just assuming they'd paid all these foreigners huge money instead of using their own.

Philly - where do all these English players go then? other European clubs? If so doesn't that prove my point that when big money is involved loyalty dies?
Post on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:00 am by philly
Hendo Maroon wrote:
fair enough. I'm the first to admit I don't have a good football knowledge (and proud of it Very Happy ) I was just assuming they'd paid all these foreigners huge money instead of using their own.

Philly - where do all these English players go then? other European clubs? If so doesn't that prove my point that when big money is involved loyalty dies?
Yes some money-hungry ones do.
But also some stay loyal to their clubs.
Like Fabreags and RVP.
Post on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:03 am by Hendo Maroon
Dan Carter - arguably the best rugby player in the world was offered double his salary to make the move up to Auckland and play for the Blues. He turned it down and stuck with the province that made him into the player he is today. That's loyalty.
Post on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:05 am by philly
Hendo Maroon wrote:
Dan Carter - arguably the best rugby player in the world was offered double his salary to make the move up to Auckland and play for the Blues. He turned it down and stuck with the province that made him into the player he is today. That's loyalty.
Cesc Fabregas - one of the best players in the world. Offered more than double his salary to move back to Spain. He said no because he is commited to winning the club that turned him into a star a trophy. That's loyalty as well.
Post on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:22 pm by smashedmirror704
the reason Arsenal buys players from overseas is because we can't afford English players.
Post on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:38 am by Sparky_Hughes
First off, there's a huge difference between Real Madrid and Manchester City. It main comes down to the fact Real is owned by the fans but it's the President making the decisions whereas with City its the owners spending all the $$$.

As for a salary cap in football, it just wouldn't work unless you created a European Super League for mine as there is just too many players swapping between Leagues.

smashedmirror704 wrote:
yeah Arsenal regularly play with no English players in the side. I don't know about the salary cap thing, I mean look at the NBA where the cap is enormous and good players are getting traded all over the place in exchange for rubbish ones so teams have a chance to get a free agent in the off-season.

The NBA salary cap is actually fantastic and it's to me the best run business in the world. Some teams as you say trade their best players for nothing as you put is SM but really it's because of the expiring contracts and the $$$ they're able to save in making those trades. The NBA is also a business and some teams need all the help they can get saving money. The perfect example is the NY Knicks, they've shed a heap of $$$ since the arrival of Donnie Walsh as their GM.
Post on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:14 pm by smashedmirror704
all so they can make a play for Wade or LeBron or someone and probably pay luxury tax for the next decade.
Post on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:19 pm by Sparky_Hughes
smashedmirror704 wrote:
all so they can make a play for Wade or LeBron or someone and probably pay luxury tax for the next decade.

Well I know the NY Knicks situation best when it comes to cap space for next season so I'll give you an example with them.

They have around US $35M in cap space for next season, so if they want to go after LeBron and Wade/Bosh, they'd have to make sure that whatever contract they offer, it has to fit in that $35M otherwise whatever amount they go over, they're essentially paying double as whatever they go over the pay back to the NBA. So they've got to be careful.

They'd probably be better off by offering LeBron $20-25M per year and making it back-ended, so they pay more as they years go on and do likewise with Bosh.
Post on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:32 pm by smashedmirror704
they're going to have to offer LeBron some extra incentive to go there.

In New Jersey he could play with Brook Lopez and John Wall which is more attractive than David Lee.
Post on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:33 pm by smashedmirror704
nothing against David Lee mind
Post on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:08 pm by Sparky_Hughes
smashedmirror704 wrote:
they're going to have to offer LeBron some extra incentive to go there.

In New Jersey he could play with Brook Lopez and John Wall which is more attractive than David Lee.

That's if the Nets get the No. 1 pick. Also, Lee could very well leave the Knicks, it remains to be seen.
Post on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:09 am by smashedmirror704
even if the Nets miss out on the first pick they'll still get someone really good.
Post on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:39 am by Sparky_Hughes
smashedmirror704 wrote:
even if the Nets miss out on the first pick they'll still get someone really good.

Well yeah they should.
Post  by Sponsored content

All money and no passion

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Other Discussions :: Off Topic :: Blogs-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Free forum