HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Share | 

Melbourne Rebels: Where the players will come from.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hendo Maroon

PostMelbourne Rebels: Where the players will come from.

As most of you are probably aware, a new Super franchise will be joining the competition next year. This team will be based in Melbourne and will be called the Rebels. Most important thing about a rugby side is to have players and most likely the players they will be seeking will already be signed to various teams, and not just Union ones.

Who they've got already:

• Their biggest signing to date is Danny Cipriani. This Fly Half/Full Back is only 22 years old and has already played for England. Cipriani currently plays for London Wasps. He is such a young promising player, one that England would probably rather keep. But when signing with the Melbourne Rebels, Cirpriani has blown his chances of making the English side. On the brightside, some experience in the top provincial competition in the world might do some good, and when he returns to the UK he may be the star they need.
  • Another player they have signed is Cipriani's wasps team mate Lachlan Mitchell. Mitchell is the same age and is a Full Back/Wing/Center.

Who they are after:

• It's become very obvious that the Melbourne Rebels are looking to sign former rugby league star, Mark 'The Gaz' Gasnier. The Gaz left the Dragons at the end of 2008 and has been playing for Stade Francais, where like in League, he plays in the centers. He has been very impressive in Union and looks like he could even make the Wallabies if he returns to Australia. I read there is also a rumour going around that he will come back to the NRL with the Dragons.
  • Three South African players have been targeted by the Rebels. These players are brothers Bismarck and Jannie du Plessis and Duane Vermeulen. Bismarck is probably the best hooker in the world at present, and currently plays for the Springboks and Sharks. Jannie has made 5 appearances for the Springboks and is a very decent prop. Duane Vermeulen is a relatively young, but extremely talented flanker who currently plays for the Stormers.
  • Sonny-Bill Williams is another league turned union player who has been rumoured to be a target of the Rebels. SBW left his Bulldogs club in the 2008 NRL season to play Union in France. He has shown some promise in Union but is said to really want to head back to NZ in hope of being an All Black. Recently he has been approached by NRL clubs.
  • Australian Super Rugby players of course are going to be targeted. Adam Frier, Stirling Mortlock and Rocky Elsom are 3 big names linked with the Rebels.
  • Former Wallaby, Sam Cordingley, who is currently based in France is another player the Rebels are looking to sign. He played Halfback but was generally second pick to George Gregan.
  • An article from the Sydney Herald says that Israel Folau of the Brisbane Broncos is on the Rebels 'Hit List'. Folau is in his second year with the Broncos with an option of two more years. If the Rebels throw together a decent offer, rugby league could lose one of its most promising youngsters. Folau played Union in his schooldays.
It's unlikely all these signings will go through but if it did this is what the team would look like so far:
1. _____ 2. Bismarck du Plessis 3. Jannie du Plessis 4. _______ 5. ______ 6. Rocky Elsom 7. Duane Vermulen 8. ______ 9. Sam Cordingley 10. Danny Cipriani 11. Israel Folau 12. Sonny Bill-Williams 13. Stirling Mortlock 14. ____ 15. Lachlan Mitchell Bench: 16. Adam Frier 17. _____ 18. _____ 19. _____ 20. _____ 21. Mark Gasnier 22. _______

I have coloured red the players who I think the Rebels have a good shot of signing or have signed already.

So as you can see its likely that the Rebels will drain players from Super Rugby franchises as well as the European Sides. Not even the NRL is safe from the Rebels.

If anyone knows any other signings or rumours please let me know.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Melbourne Rebels: Where the players will come from. :: Comments

If Izzy left Melbourne to go home to Brisbane, why would he go back just two years later??

But honestly, this franchise can die in the shitter if they are going to name it Melbourne with all the other Aussie teams named after states.
As much as I'd love to follow a Victorian team, I really don't see where the supporters will come from.

How many true S14/union fans are there in this state?
liam_bombers wrote:
If Izzy left Melbourne to go home to Brisbane, why would he go back just two years later??

But honestly, this franchise can die in the shitter if they are going to name it Melbourne with all the other Aussie teams named after states.

Money!
Cynic wrote:
As much as I'd love to follow a Victorian team, I really don't see where the supporters will come from.

Wait and see, if this team goes alright makes the finals etc. then people will jump on the bandwagon, happens in all sports, most recent example, the Wellington Phoenix
Hendo Maroon wrote:
Cynic wrote:

Wait and see, if this team goes alright makes the finals etc. then people will jump on the bandwagon, happens in all sports, most recent example, the Wellington Phoenix

Hence why I said 'true' fans, not the bandwagons that follow the Victory ... I feel this is just trying to find a fanbase that might not be there. Wouldn't some Victorian fans follow NSW or Queensland - ah, right ...
is it easy to make the switch from league to rugby?
smashedmirror704 wrote:
is it easy to make the switch from league to rugby?

For backs it isn't too hard, especially wings and centers where there role is very similar to that in league. A halfback I think would find it ok. Someone like Thurston could slot into the first-five position with ease. Forwards would find it very difficult, the whole scrums, rucks, mauls and lineouts would screw them over.
I had no idea such a team existed, or was going to exist.

How many victorian union players are there?
Don't know how many but I'd say there wouldn't be too many. Although Rocky Elsom was born in Melbourne. To start off I gather most if not all of their players will be from elsewhere.
Well now I have a team to 'support'.

Will be having a look at results but probably wont be watching many matches.
I am surprised you haven't heard of this earlier! the team was announced a while a go. Just shows the lack of interest in Union in Victoria. Hopefully with the introduction of this side there will be a lot of interest in a few years time. Rugby Union is sure better than AFL Very Happy
Izzy said a few weeks ago he will be playing the optioned 2 years in his contract and staying with Brisbane.
Sincerely doubt either of the du Plessis brothers will go - I recall the commentators in the Tahs/Sharks game mentioning it (not that any of the Aussie rugby commentators have half a brain between them) and saying the they had both already turned down the offers. Bismark especially wouldn't want to leave the republic considering he is their No.1 rake - anyone good enough to displace Smit to prop should ensure their test career is as long as possible.
Hendo Maroon wrote:
I am surprised you haven't heard of this earlier! the team was announced a while a go. Just shows the lack of interest in Union in Victoria. Hopefully with the introduction of this side there will be a lot of interest in a few years time. Rugby Union is sure better than AFL Very Happy
I wont touch that last comment, but i don't think i have come across anything about this team in the media, it may be very slow going for them for a few couple of years.

I knew a few guys that played Union for their school (private school competitions), so maybe that is where some fans will come from and possibly future players as well, i couldn't think of another junior union league here in Melbourne.
yeah I played rugby when I was in year 7 but our school didn't have an established programme and we had to play these Scotch cunts all the time who took it was too seriously. Was the absolute worst.

I think it's a bit like rowing in Melbourne.
manu vatuvei is another who has been targeted.
Gaz really close to signing apparently. Reds have also been linked but Rebels seem to be in pole at this stage.
slater for fullback Razz
Slater ain't goin anywhere!! Smile

Melbourne Rebels: Where the players will come from.

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Other Discussions :: Off Topic :: Blogs-
Jump to:  
How to make a forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Create a forum on Forumotion