HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Share | 

Will anybody retire after the Ashes?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Tank
Guru

PostSubject: Will anybody retire after the Ashes?   Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:01 am

I think Ponting will play on. But I also think Hussey and Katich might retire. It'll be a good time for them to retire too (especially if we win), to make way for our youngsters.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sibs#12
Legend

PostSubject: Re: Will anybody retire after the Ashes?   Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:30 am

I don't think Ponting will move on and I don't want him to, I think he's a good captain and a very talented batsman and still has a 1-2 years left in him. I really hope Katich doesn't either, he's been brilliant for Australia since he was recalled to the side, such a consistent batsman.

Hussey I'm not sure, I think he should move on but I'm not sure if he will.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Svoerman
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Will anybody retire after the Ashes?   Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:40 am

Hussey is really the only one who might IMO. Katich is in too good of form and will want to be in the team as long as possible after being dropped in 05. Ponting will want to try and make it 3rd time lucky on English soil. While Hussey hasn't been to the same highs he set earlier in his test career.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Tank
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Will anybody retire after the Ashes?   Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:54 am

I don't want any one of them to go, but really I think one of them should go to make way for Khawaja or Smith
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DB
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Will anybody retire after the Ashes?   Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:39 pm

i think hussey should retire.

and i dont think katich, ponting and haddin (injuries) will be far off from retiring either
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Tank
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Will anybody retire after the Ashes?   Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:18 pm

Think you're probably right DB. If I were a selector I'd give Hussey the Ashes series to get some scores, if he doesn't, he must make way for some young blokes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Panthers
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Will anybody retire after the Ashes?   Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:32 am

So... will Ponting retire/be pushed into retirement after the Sydney Test? Hussey you think will be around next summer (obviously a lot can change in 12 months) and will Katich call it quits in front of his home crowd in the final Test (if he plays)?

Legend

PostSubject: Re: Will anybody retire after the Ashes?   Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:37 am

The Tank wrote:
Think you're probably right DB. If I were a selector I'd give Hussey the Ashes series to get some scores, if he doesn't, he must make way for some young blokes

How times have changed ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: Will anybody retire after the Ashes?   Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:54 am

Harro Crying or Very sad Sad

XOXO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sibs#12
Legend

PostSubject: Re: Will anybody retire after the Ashes?   Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:16 pm

I really don't know about Ponting.

I know he talks it up in the press, saying he still thinks he can contribute to the side, etc and I agree, I think he still has it in him. But even he has to admit that things need to change. I can't quite put my finger on it - but something needs to change, and I'm really not sure whether that means he needs to purely work more on his batting, or drop the captaincy, or move down the order, or get dropped altogether.

There's just something, for me at least, in seeing Ponting's name on the teamsheet. Even though he's definitely not in form, I find it somewhat relieving knowing someone of Ponting's talent and experience is coming in at first drop. And even though he's unconvincing on some things (such as how to use a spinner), I still think he's a quality skipper. He brings things to the team that most others don't. The main pressure, though, is that Khawaja seems ready to slot into the Test team, and with most of the Australian public on his side, it could mean Ponting is pushed from the Test team, with Usman replacing him. I'd like to see Khawaja in the side, definitely, but I dunno if I'd want to see him replace Ponting long-term, or someone else.

It's a difficult situation. I still think he's got it left in him but maybe he needs a break from Test cricket for a bit - he'll get some of that anyway but maybe rest him from the Bangladesh tour, I don't know. I don't want Clarke to captain atm so if he's next in line (as it seems) then I want Punter to keep the captaincy. I really can't see Ricky playing on if he's not captain though, I don't know why, I just don't see it happening.

Don't know what to think about what should happen really. Confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will anybody retire after the Ashes?   

Back to top Go down

Will anybody retire after the Ashes?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Cricket-
Jump to:  
Forumotion.com | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com