HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Share | 

Champions League: 1st Knockout Round

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TGBY
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Champions League: 1st Knockout Round   Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:03 pm

Sparky_Hughes wrote:
TGBY wrote:
Pretty shattered tbh. Barca were always going to be on top, and they dominated from start to finish, but that sending off of Van Persie was a ridiculous call, and effectively ended are chances. I felt we were right in the game (albeit clinging on) but had the aggregate advantage, and i reckon we could have held on or at least taken i to extra time if we had 11 men. Van persie has every right to be angry.

I'm 50/50 on the Van Persie second yellow card. In truth it was by the rules a yellow card as he was offside and did then go and kick the ball away, but considering the atmosphere, surely the referee could have given him one final warning instead of just giving him the yellow card straight away. I guess it's one of those decisions that the home teams gets which the away team never does.

Also, I definitely think this was a golden opportunity wasted from Arsenal in terms of beating Barcelona. You're never going to see them go into a game with a weaker defense that the one yesterday. Unfortunately for the Gunners, they just couldn't get through. Definitely thought if they did get past Barca that they could win the Champions League. Hopefully they can win either the EPL or the FA Cup as going empty handed this season would be a real disappointment considering how well they've played this season.

To the letter of the law, yes, but in that situation, surely common sense has to prevail
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Champions League: 1st Knockout Round   Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:45 am

Tomorrow morning our Champions League defense goes on the line against Bayern Munich.
Obviously losing at home in the 1st Leg was very disappointing, but I can see us playing that poorly again in the 2nd Leg.

Again it depends on three players for mine. Samuel Eto'o and the service he gets, Wesley Sneijder and the service he provides, and if Diego Milito is included in the squad. I think defensively we should be fine.

Yes Bayern had a couple of really good chances in the 1st Leg but it still took a howler from Julio Cesar for them to score.

Thiago Motta has been ruled out and Lucio is struggling to make it as well. I'm just hoping Lucio can get up for the game, he's vital at the back along with Ranocchia.

I'm gonna go with us winning 2-1 tomorrow morning. I have real belief in the boys and we're the European champions for a reason. We're going to show that tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: Champions League: 1st Knockout Round   Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:09 am

CHICHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! What a star I love you . The lead up play for our 1st goal was top draw.. Little scare towards the end but overall just happy we are going through. Rafa and Sheasy injured though, not good!! Full thoughts on the game later.

Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd

XOXO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Champions League: 1st Knockout Round   Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:54 am

What more can I say that what a win this morning at the Allianz Arena in Munich.

That was simply unbelievable stuff and we become the first team since Ajax back in 1996 to overcome a 1st Leg loss at home to progress to the next round. Ajax won the Champions League in 1996 so this could be an omen. Hopefully.

Was a little bit disappointed when I saw Javier Zanetti was out. Turned out it was the flu but was very happy to see that both Lucio and Thiago Motta has been included in the side, as both had been injury doubts.

Thought we started absolutely beautifully. Some brilliant intricate (jeez I sound like Craig Foster) passing from Stnakovic and then Pandev who set up Eto'o who buried it into the back of the net. Yes he was marginally offside, but about time the attacking side was given the benefit of the doubt. We'll certainly take it.

For the next 15 minutes I thought things we looking really good. We were keeping Robben and Ribery very quiet and seemed to be controlling the game OK. Step up another Julio Cesar howler. No doubt a fantastic finish from Mario Gomez, but that howler completely changed the complexion of the game. Not only that, Bayern's second goal also came from a massive stroke of luck. A deflection of a pass from Robben and it went straight to Muller whoa again had no problems finishing it off. Certainly thought we were gone at this stage and to the credit of Julio Cesar, he made some fine saves to keep us in the tie even though at HT I thought we were gone. Could see us scoring one or two goals in the second half, but like Craig Foster said, could certainly see Bayern getting another.

Thought we started the second half well. Didn't try and commit too many men going forward and held Bayern at bay. Again, Julio Cesar making a fantastic save to prevent Gomez from scoring again. Thought the substitution of Coutinho for Stankovic was a great decision from Leonardo. Dejan looked a little tired in the legs and Coutinho has that extra bit of creativity as well.

Once Robben was substituted, I could tell Bayern were going to sit back and try and hold onto the 2-1 lead.

Loved the build up for our second goal. Coutinho with a nice pass to Eto'o, who teed up Sneijder who launched a fantastic strike which was just hit hard enough for Kraft not to be able to get to.

At 2-2, I really thought we were going to win. Bayern were trying to hold on, and we knew we had to go for it and with Sneijder starting to pull the strings, Eto'o on fire all night and Goran Pandev being a constant nuisance, it was only a matter of time for mine that we were going to get the winner. What a winner it was too. Samuel Eto'o definitely the man of the match out-dueling Breno than setting up Pandev and what a finish it was from the Macedonian.

Absolutely thrilled to have gotten through to the Quarter Finals. Not only that, being the only Italian side left, we're certainly flying the flag yet again for the Serie A.

Really thought we deserved to get through as well, it took two howlers and a very fortunate deflection for Bayern to score their three goals. We hardly deserved to lose at home in that 1st Leg as well. Special mention to Samuel Eto'o, he is simply an unbelievable player. To think Barcelona thought Ibrahimovic was worth three Eto'o's what a laugh.

As for the Quarter Final draw, as long as we can avoid Barcelona again I'll settle for whoever. I fancy our chances against Chelsea, Man. United or even Real Madrid.

Forza Inter!!! Grin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al3x7754
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Champions League: 1st Knockout Round   Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Good stuff by Inter were impressed by them thought they were gone but to their credit they fought back like champions do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Champions League: 1st Knockout Round   Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:20 am

Champions League Draw is LIVE tonight on ESPN at 10pm.

I'll be happy with who we get as long as we can avoid Barcelona.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
philly
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Champions League: 1st Knockout Round   Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:10 am

So long as Spurs get Real/Barca who will pump them. I'm happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neil21
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Champions League: 1st Knockout Round   Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:19 am

I have a feeling Chelsea will get Barca

Just for the hell of it, my guess at the draw

Chelsea vs Barca
Man United vs Shaktar Donesk
Real Madrid vs Inter
Shalke vs Tottenham
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Champions League: 1st Knockout Round   Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:31 pm

UEFA Champions League: Quarter Finals Match-Ups

QF 1: Real Madrid vs. Tottenham
QF 2: Chelsea vs. Manchester United
QF 3: Barcelona vs. Shaktar Donestk
QF 4: Inter Milan vs. Schalke 04

Semi Finals:

Winner of QF 1 vs. Winner of QF 3
Winner of QF 4 vs. Winner of QF 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Champions League: 1st Knockout Round   Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:31 pm

Very, very happy to have drawn Schalke 04 in the Quarter Finals. Of the seven either sides, I guess the general verdict on them was that they were the weakest of the eight sides left so to get them is a great result. Really thought we had drawn Real Madrid for a second, and then Barcelona too but luckily we can't play either of them until the Final if we do indeed get that far. Also, we should have our strongest possible side by the 1st Leg, with both Diego Milito and Javier Zanetti back in training.

Definitely the most mouthwatering clash of the Quarter Finals is Chelsea vs. Manchester United. It really is a flip of a coin that one. I give the very slight edge to United as they have the 2nd Leg at home, but it's going to be a cracking tie nevertheless.

Barcelona should progress against Shaktar Donestk in their match-up. Certainly won't be easy, but Barca are the strongest side in Europe so should advance.

As for the Real Madrid vs. Tottenham match-up, certainly is an intriguing one. If Spurs play like they did against AC Milan then Real will tear them to shreds to 'Arry Redknapp has got to come up with some different against the 'Special One'. To be honest, can't see Spurs going any further. It's been a great run, but Real Madrid will progress for mine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
philly
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Champions League: 1st Knockout Round   Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:50 pm

Eduardo to score 4 against Barca Grin

Good to see the Yids get Real, should get a right pasting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Megadeecee
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Champions League: 1st Knockout Round   Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:10 pm

Chelsea cost me, when Drogba laughed after having a crack from 35m out that flew into the crowd i wanted to slap him silly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Champions League: 1st Knockout Round   

Back to top Go down

Champions League: 1st Knockout Round
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Football :: Matchday-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Free forum