HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Share | 

NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
south01
Guru

PostSubject: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:06 am

No one has talked about this on here so i thought id start the topic, below is a few paragraphs from NYP , hope a deal is settled and soon, Kobe threatened to play in Europe but they were just rumors, guess the NBA will give in eventually but teams need to sign and this could be damaging..

The NBA locked out its players Friday when its collective bargaining agreement expired, becoming the second pro sports league shut down by labor strife.

The labor deal ended at midnight after players and owners failed to reach a new contract. The two sides remained far apart on just about every major issue, from salaries to the salary cap, revenues to revenue sharing.

The long-expected lockout puts the 2011-12 season in jeopardy and comes as the NFL is trying to end its own work stoppage that began in March.

It is believed to be only the second time that two leagues have been shut down simultaneously by labor problems.

In 1994, the NHL and MLB were idle from October through the end of the year. The NHL locked out its players from October 1994 until mid-January 1995 and reduced the 1994-95 season from 84 games to 48. MLB endured a 232-day strike from August 12, 1994 until April 2, 1995, which led to the cancellation of the entire 1994 postseason and World Series.

In a call with the labor relations committee on Thursday, Commissioner David Stern recommended that the first lockout since the 1998-99 season be imposed.

"We had a great year in terms of the appreciation of our fans for our game. It just wasn't a profitable one for the owners, and it wasn't one that many of the smaller market teams particularly enjoyed or felt included in," Stern said. "The goal here has been to make the league profitable and to have a league where all 30 teams can compete."

Despite a three-hour meeting Thursday and a final proposal from the players - which NBA leaders said would have raised average player salaries to $7 million in the sixth year of the deal - the sides could not close the enormous gulf between their positions.

"The problem is that there's such a gap in terms of the numbers, where they are and where we are, and we just can't find any way to bridge that gap," union chief Billy Hunter said.

All league business is officially on hold, starting with the free agency period that would have opened Friday. The NBA's summer league in Las Vegas already has been canceled, preseason games in Europe were never scheduled, and players might have to decide if they want to risk playing in this summer's Olympic qualifying tournaments without the NBA's help in securing insurance in case of injury.

And teams will be prohibited from having any contact with their players, most of whom won't be paid until a deal is done but insist they'll hang in anyway.

"We're going to stand up for what we have to do, no matter how long it's going to take," Thunder star Kevin Durant told The Associated Press. "No matter how long the lockout's going to take, we're going to stand up. We're not going to give in."

The lockout comes exactly one year after one of the NBA's most anticipated days in recent years, when Lebron James, Dwyane Wade and the rest of the celebrated class of 2010 became free agents.

The last lockout reduced the 1998-99 season to just a 50-game schedule, the only time the NBA missed games for a work stoppage. Hunter said it's too early to be concerned about that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
south01
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Deron williams has signed in turkey as a result, may not return to NY nets, hope it isn't a trend...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cats11
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:57 am

south01 wrote:
Deron williams has signed in turkey as a result, may not return to NY nets, hope it isn't a trend...

why not? Neutral

The more players that go over there, then maybe stern and his mates can finally get cracking on a deal they haven't negiotiated for over a fortnight now I believe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:05 am

I side with the league and owners in this one. That said, I believe the players have a right to go play elsewhere while no ball is played in the US. Obviously the league will try to fight it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
south01
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:39 am

guess we have varied opinions, NFL finally sorted but NBA needs to get going.

Dont want my favorite players vanishing but yeah i know it should be up to them where they go in off season, like Bogut never being able to come to training camps for Boomers cause Bucks won't let him, one on at Gold Coast now and he isnt there but Mills got approved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cats11
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:34 pm

Nothing will happen till October imo.
They won't get concerned until they realise the prospect of missing games off the regular season schedule. we also need more players to go overseas, c'mon Kobe im counting on you...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kingkingston
Professional

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:41 am

The lockout sucks, greedy bastards
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aussiesportsforum.com/
Cats11
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:48 am

Representatives of the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association will meet next week in New York for the first post-lockout negotiating session, sources confirmed to NBA.com Wednesday.

The two sides have not met since June 30, the date that the last collective bargaining agreement expired. The date and time of next week's meeting was not confirmed, although various outlets were reporting that it could be as soon as Monday. The Web site SBNation.com carried a report Tuesday that a bargaining session would be held in the first two weeks of August.

Next week's session is expected to include key figures, from commissioner David Stern and deputy commissioner Adam Silver to NBPA executive director Billy Hunter and NBA players. Two meetings in July to finalize calculations related to 2010-11 basketball-related income (BRI) on which the NBA's player-compensation system is based were attended by staff members from both sides.

As informal deadlines go, a meeting next week at least would beat the time frame of the 1998 lockout. That summer, the two sides went from July 22 until Aug. 6 without a negotiating session.

--
At least they are doing something

complete story http://www.nba.com/2011/news/07/27/labor-talks/index.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kingkingston
Professional

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:02 am

damn stupid, i miss my off season movement Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aussiesportsforum.com/
south01
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:10 pm

the lockout just brings rumors not trades hey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
south01
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:02 pm

Cairns Taipans just won lol against all USA side, Pierce and all were there that's a laugh!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
south01
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:58 am

Patty Mills has signed with Melbourne Tigers till lockout is resolved, knocked back Euro deals to help out Bball in Oz, what a friggin legend!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
liam_bombers
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:18 am

Quote :
NEW YORK (AP) -- NBA Commissioner David Stern has canceled the first two weeks of the season after owners and players were unable to reach a new labor deal and end the lockout.

Top negotiators for both sides met for more than seven hours Monday, returning to bargaining about 14 hours after ending talks Sunday night.
Stern says both sides are "very far apart on virtually all issues. ... We just have a gulf that separates us."
Stern, Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver, owners Peter Holt of San Antonio, Glen Taylor of Minnesota and James Dolan of New York, and senior vice president and deputy general counsel Dan Rube met with union executive director Billy Hunter, president Derek Fisher of the Lakers and vice president Maurice Evans of the Wizards, and attorneys Jeffrey Kessler and Ron Klempner.
Owners locked out the players July 1 when they couldn't reach a deal before the expiration of the old collective bargaining agreement. Opening night was scheduled for Nov. 1.

This is only going to get more vicious. It is so sad to see the inroads the NBA have made, only for the season to be carved up and possibly not happen, demolishing the popularity it has built in the past number of years. The greedy players need to take a good hard look at themselves. To them it's all about the money, yet they make documentaries and commercials about the love they have for the game of basketball. My arse. David Stern, to you sir, I say hurry up and retire! Disgraceful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brad
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:27 am

Sad

Get your act together NBA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:40 am

I side with the owners 100% on all this. Players are the employees and they have far too much power over player movement by hanging impending Free Agency over owners as a threat to force trades and the way it is, though I don't understand anywhere near all of the business model they keep referring to, clearly doesn't allow fair ground for competition for the smaller market teams. What's the point of having them when they can't ever possibly win? I posted on here about 6 months ago that there are about 13-14 teams in the league that have played a combined 450ish seasons for a total of 3 titles between them. All this while LA represents the West in the Finals 32 times in 63 years.

I didn't think it was possible for me to respect Derek Fisher any less, but I've found a way and a reason.

All this whinging about how much Stern makes when "it's the players people want to see". Seriously? Stern is the one who changed the way the entire NBA and its products, i.e. the players, was marketed. He started it all with marketing individual players like Jordan and to a lesser extent Magic and Bird. Everyone today just benefits from what Stern has put 30 years into building, and then they say they deserve more than him? Laughable.

People pay to see the players, sure, but they and their play are just the final product of a lot of people's hard work. They didn't make the NBA, the NBA was around before any of these guys and will be around long after they're all gone. Even IF you are the ones people pay to see, whinging about making that much money is just pathetic.

Remember this guy, who lost his job and made the news as teh economic crisis was just starting? http://articles.cnn.com/2009-01-27/justice/family.dead_1_kabc-suicide-police?_s=PM:CRIME

Anytime anyone mentions the crisis, he is the first one to come to mind for me; to me he is the face of the economic crisis. And these guys make millions a year, some as much as 15-20 million, and they complain. No perspective. Even if the country wasn't in economic crisis, that's a disgrace. There are 14 million unemployed in America and these guys have the nerve to complain. Chuck a hard cap in there, even out the revenue sharing, make the max length for contracts 3 or 4 years to stop guys signing for 7 knowing it buys them 6 grossly overpaid years of not having to do a damn thing, and go to work.

Saw a funny post on espn.com about LeBron having to pawn his rings..oh wait. Gave me a smile in what is a dark day for the NBA. Bummed that I won't get to see my Bulls against my best mate's Mavs on opening night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:57 am

Quote :
I wish I got a 50/50 split from the owners where I work.

From ESPN boards
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:17 am

Contract some teams. Anyone got a good reason why not?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cats11
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:13 am

Really I don't think anyone is mainly at fault here, it's a mixture of a few stupid decisions, i.e Joe Johnson is on 20 million a year is that the players fault, no. While the Players haven't really made mistakes during the course of this CBA Negotiation the only thing is not accepting a 50/50, I mean what's so bad about that? And Finally David Stern, I for one of many would like wipe that little fu*king grin on his face, That would one good thing if we had no season, he really looks likea fighter that has fought 1 Fight too many, yes he has done some amazing stuff bringing the NBA to the level that it is today but david it is time to go to your retirement home!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cats11
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:39 am

NBA and NBPA have been meeting for more than 15 hours now, maybe a deal is on the horizon?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
liam_bombers
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:55 pm

I like your thinking. Hopefully the marathon discussion is a sign of urgency and they make a deal. Another talk to start in 4 hours or so. Seems like definite urgency.

Get it done guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mozza
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:42 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cats11
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:49 am

mozza wrote:
Players to Oz?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nba-stars-in-potential-tour-of-australia/story-e6frfglf-1226171408084

Anyone believe the hype?

Australia has a basketball stadium that can hold 15,000 Surprised
NBA Season > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Exhibition Games.
Players are sick of these games anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cats11
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:07 am

Deal on the horizon?

“I think we’re within striking distance of getting a deal." - Billy Hunter

Deal could be struck, potentially as early as tomorrow, Stern was quoted as saying it would be a failure if a deal was not struck within days.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/10/27/no-rest-for-the-labor-weary/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Is it just me or has every headline for a week been the same : something along the lines of "Positive signs after marathon talks, deal On the horizon" blah blah? I swear I've read the same "News" every day for a week now. I'll believe a deals on when I see it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cats11
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:19 am

CHORUS wrote:
Is it just me or has every headline for a week been the same : something along the lines of "Positive signs after marathon talks, deal On the horizon" blah blah? I swear I've read the same "News" every day for a week now. I'll believe a deals on when I see it.

Looks like you were right again, FML.Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   

Back to top Go down

NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Basketball-
Jump to:  
Free forum hosting  | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Free forum