HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Share | 

NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:35 am

Posting random, apathetic thoughts on ESPN comment boards about the lockout = priceless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:09 pm

7 DVDs for the entire CHI-NY conference semis from 1992 (classic series) arrived today. Got some basketball to watch at least, never seen any of these games in their entirety.

FWIW, I reckon the players fold first. The stars don't get affected either way, but the lower paid guys are the ones that will feel it. The owners aren't going broke even if the entire season is cancelled, but some players certainly are. The more games are cancelled, the more losses the owners will want to recover too, and their offers are only gonna get worse and worse for the players. They need to accept ASAP because no deal is better than the one currently on the table.

Billy Hunter and Derek Fisher have been a shambles this entire time IMO. As they say there's a reason the players don't run the business side of things. Imagine one of these guys doing your thinking for you? Yikes.

Some interesting thoughts I've read are about the fact that the discussions regarding the modifications that will allow smaller markets to be more competitive (which is a good thing IMO, despite a system designed to promote parity, there's almost none in the NBA, with 6 teams having won 29 of the last 32 titles) could play into the hands of bigger markets: should the specific owners who are holding up parts of talks because they want greater revenue sharing be made known 'accidentally', guess who suddenly finds ever less favour than before in the eyes of FAs? And who is even more likable? The big markets.

Chicago, N.Y. and L.A. > All. Got it made.

Oh yeah, and... No games until December at the earliest, and a guarantee that we will have a second season that is at the very least shortened.

I favor contraction of some teams. 4-6 of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
liam_bombers
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:55 am

Just interested, who would you contract?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:16 am

New Orleans are a prime candidate. The league even owns them so half the dirty work's already taken care of. Second time that things NBA have not taken off in that city (Jazz 1982). Everyone knows Chris Paul's leaving anyway and then support for that team will be REALLY poor once they totally suck.

I also reckon Charlotte. I'm not as informed on how well they have managed to garner support in that city in their seven years there as I am on how well the Hornets have done, but if it's not booming, I see no reason for them to continue. They've proven once they couldn't support a team (Why oh why did they get an expansion team just 3 years after the Hornets left), and even though obviously fans will miss the team, the weak have to go sometimes for the greater good, which is the quality of the product fielded by the NBA.

The product sucks. Not only do players not have the basic fundamentals anymore (Who can forget Allen Iverson, Richard Jefferson and Lamar Odom bricking wide-open three-pointers in leading the US to a Bronze medal in Athens) in this era of what-looks-best-I-just-wanna-dunk-on-cats streetball era, they don't even enforce the rules. The travelling rule doesn't even exist anymore, it would seem (see: Rajon Rondo, LeBron James, and ~80% of the league). Glad I've got some classic playoff basketball from the early 90s: supremely higher quality of basketball, and therefore, entertainment.

*Cough* Get rid of the dunk contest *Cough*

As for who else would get the flick, obviously they would have to be small markets: and there are plenty of them. Can't really justify taking Atlanta away given how long their history is, plus they're not the biggest struggler anyway.

Indiana's not going anywhere, and you'd have to think Cleveland's not either (despite their dip in franchise value). I can't see much good reason for the league to keep Minnesota around. Perpetually stuck at the very bottom and not a factor despite their plethora of high draft picks. Also, probably the worst potential destination for a FA alongside Toronto. New Jersey despite having all the small market aura obviously play to a big market that will be even bigger when they move to Brooklyn. Memphis's short term future looks bright, including attendances. Golden State always rock attendance-wise even though they never make the playoffs. Would hate to say Denver because they're a team I rather like. Sacramento's been in trouble recently for a few reasons so despite their age I reckon they get the nod as the fourth. This gets rid of a fourth Californian team. Toronto also. That's five teams leaving us with 25. Enough for five divisions of 5 if the Conference system were to be obliterated (which obviously is not even on the cards).

Actually, contract 28 and let every game be a Chicago-Detroit grudge match Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
liam_bombers
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:25 am

Here comes the broken record

...Move one of them to Seattle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:19 am

I'd rather see them actually get rid of teams. The talent is too thinly spread with so many teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cats11
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:43 am

CHORUS wrote:
I'd rather see them actually get rid of teams. The talent is too thinly spread with so many teams.

Or it's just not recognised. i.e Brian "White Mamba" Sclabrine Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kingkingston
Professional

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:30 am

CHORUS wrote:

a champion team will always beat a team of champions, i think the NBA finals proved that, you will always have your top teams and bottom teams, glad it's not like the EPL where only 4 or 5 teams have won the title the past 20 years
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aussiesportsforum.com/
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:03 am

kingkingston wrote:
CHORUS wrote:

a champion team will always beat a team of champions, i think the NBA finals proved that, you will always have your top teams and bottom teams, glad it's not like the EPL where only 4 or 5 teams have won the title the past 20 years

6 teams have won 29 of the last 32. That's the same thing just in a slightly bigger league. The same teams win and are in contention every year. Denver's made one trip to the CF in 30 years. GS hasn't been there a single time in that stretch, and have only made the playoffs once in 16 years. LAC have never been to the CF, period. LA? 16 Finals trips in that time. Atlanta haven't been to the CF in about 40 years. Toronto and Memphis, never been. Milwaukee - 1 or 2 trips there in about 40 years. Minnesota have only won two playoff series in a 25ish year history, and they were both in the same year. Cleveland in over 30 years of existence have never won a single Finals game. Even one of the league's most storied teams, Philadelphia, finds itself with just one single season of relevance (2001) since their title in 1983. Things don't look like they're changing for the better or looking up for a single one of those teams either. Sure, you could argue LAC but we've gotten hopeful about them WAY too many times now to even bother this time IMO. They're still the Clippers. We just had more than ten years where every single year you could pretty much say it was gonna be one of four or five teams, and they were pretty much the same four or five every year.

In order to be good teams, yes there must be bad ones. But it's the same teams that are bad and irrelevant every single year, without fail.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:22 am

Players seeking decertification. Does this just mean they are no longer part of the players' union, and are therefore just wanting a deal and wanting to play, or seeking to terminate their employment with the league? My guess is the former, which is not good for the players' union at all. They've been up against it the whole time.

Good to see MJ taking a stance too Smile

This Knicks-Bulls series from 1992 is absolute gold. Hard, passionate basketball, flagrant fouls, huge hits with no call at all, you name it. Killer defense from both clubs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:23 am

Good on Jerry Stackhouse for speaking up in the way he did, even if it might cause some rifts on slight unrest on the players' side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:43 am

Deal or No Deal?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kingkingston
Professional

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:15 pm

Well that sucks
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aussiesportsforum.com/
south01
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:31 am

no deal, next year season will start ..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
liam_bombers
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:51 am

IT'S ALL OVERRRRRR!

Season to start on Christmas day! And to think I wasn't looking forward to xmas that much this year Grin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:02 pm

I think I've missed something. The lockout's over?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Some ripper games on opener. Being a Monday here, wonder if well get even one of them (should get two IMO).

I guess Miami won't be winning 73 this season either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
liam_bombers
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:42 am

Mavs to unveil their banner at home, first day against the Heat?

Conspiracy, Cuban is behind the lockout Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DUB
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:32 am

Awesome news.

Stern said they will have a triple header (atleast) on Christmas Day (Boxing day over here), and i'd assume all the games will be blockbusters.

Dallas will play at home to unveil their banner, maybe NY and Heat will play each other like they were supposed to on opening night.

Whatever happens, i'm glad the NBA is back Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:23 am

DUB wrote:
Awesome news.

Stern said they will have a triple header (atleast) on Christmas Day (Boxing day over here), and i'd assume all the games will be blockbusters.

Dallas will play at home to unveil their banner, maybe NY and Heat will play each other like they were supposed to on opening night.

Dallas is hosting Miami in the Finals rematch. Chicago is playing in L.A. against the only L.A. team that matters. Can't remember the third game off the top of my head.

liam_bombers wrote:

Conspiracy, Cuban is behind the lockout

Yep, defending champ always plays a homer on opening night to have the ring ceremony and unveil the banner. Usually there's a game on the East Coast and one on the West Coast on opening night (time difference), so even if the champ is Western, it'll be the season's second game at the very latest when the champ has the ceremony. Can only imagine what recently-tuned-in followers like yourself think when you see such an ugly lockout right when you start following, for people that haven't followed it long it probably makes them think this is a normal, regular thing for this league lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHORUS
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:31 am

I won't lie, I didn't miss the NBA while it was gone or anything. If something like this was what it takes to wake owners and especially players to a sense of reality, then cool. For the good of the game. Now, as has been suggested by fans, fans ought to lock out the games by not attending for a while just to get their own back. Not only that, all those people whose jobs depended on there being NBA games should have their financial losses compensated by owners and players combined...not that that'll happen. Both sides have clearly shown that when push comes to shove, they don't give a damn about fans.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brad
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:53 am

Woooo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DUB
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:52 am

CHORUS wrote:
DUB wrote:
Awesome news.

Dallas is hosting Miami in the Finals rematch. Chicago is playing in L.A. against the only L.A. team that matters. Can't remember the third game off the top of my head.

liam_bombers wrote:

Conspiracy, Cuban is behind the lockout

Yep, defending champ always plays a homer on opening night to have the ring ceremony and unveil the banner. Usually there's a game on the East Coast and one on the West Coast on opening night (time difference), so even if the champ is Western, it'll be the season's second game at the very latest when the champ has the ceremony. Can only imagine what recently-tuned-in followers like yourself think when you see such an ugly lockout right when you start following, for people that haven't followed it long it probably makes them think this is a normal, regular thing for this league lol

The other game is the Celtics and NY.

Hopefully some of these games are shown on TV over here, be in ESPN or watever...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cats11
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:16 am

does anyone have an idea on when the full CBA will be agreed on?
Very happy for the nba to be back!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
liam_bombers
Guru

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:05 pm

Won't be Onehd is all I know. They haven't signed the deal for the rights, and don't intend to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.   

Back to top Go down

NBA PLAYER LOCKOUT.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Basketball-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Free forum