HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Share | 

Official MLB Thread

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Manning18
Guru

PostSubject: Official MLB Thread   Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:48 am

This is where MLB fans can discuss all things baseball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
willyhbhs
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Tue May 12, 2009 10:21 am

zimmerman 29 game hit streak, can he challenge dimaggio???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Tue May 12, 2009 4:10 pm

Go the Astros!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Tue May 12, 2009 4:15 pm

WTF happened to my posts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
willyhbhs
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Thu May 14, 2009 1:29 am

astros!!! mate guna be a rough few years for you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Megadeecee
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Wed May 20, 2009 11:25 am

Questions for those in the know.

Being a sports fan who gambles and finds himself hanging on every play at times can anyone tell me what some of the stats are for or what they mean.

Batting stat BB & LOB and pitching stats IP , BB , ER , PC-ST & ERA I have no idea what they mean. I've figured out a couple but not these.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
a_F_c
Legend

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Wed May 20, 2009 11:55 am

IP is Innings Pitched
ER is Earned Runs i believe...and ERA Earned Runs Average maybe? not so sure on the second 2 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/jimmy131289
willyhbhs
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Thu May 21, 2009 4:42 am

ip is innings pitched, bb is a walk, lob is runners left on base, er is earned runs, era is earned runs per 9 innings, pc is pitch count, st is strikes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
a_F_c
Legend

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Thu May 21, 2009 5:16 am

haha i got 2 from 3 Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Sun May 24, 2009 1:06 pm

willyhbhs wrote:
astros!!! mate guna be a rough few years for you!

Yeah I know, apart from Roy Oswalt we have no pitching at all.

We have good hitting in Carlos Lee, Lance Berkman and Hunter Pence, but Pitching win's World Series's, not hitting as the Yankees have found out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manning18
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Sun May 24, 2009 1:10 pm

That was a great game this morning between the Yankees and Phillies, even though I only saw the 9th innings. Down 4-2 to win 5-2 in one innings!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Megadeecee
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Thu May 28, 2009 2:37 am

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:44 am

Well another day another Astros win. Today it was 8-3 over the Diamondbacks once again.

HR's for Lance Berkman and Hunter Pence getting the job done. We're now 29-32, and with the Brewers losing AGAIN to the White Sox and the Indians beating the Cardinals, we're now just 4 games back in the NL Central.

I'm actually quite optimistic we can actually win the Division for a couple of reasons.

1] The Brewers who currently lead the NL Central have faltered the last two seasons down the stretch of the season. It's quite likely they do it again.

2] The Cards have NO ONE besides Albert Pujols who can hit for them, if there's any time during the season where Pujols finds himself in a slump, which is also quite likely, then I don't think the Cards have the pitching depth to win the Division.

3] My Astros are RENOWN for their late season surges. With hitters such as Miguel Tejada, Lance Berkman, Hunter Pence & Carlos Lee, plus one of the best starting Pitchers in the MLB in Roy Oswalt, we're definitely capable of winning the Divisiom.

My Wild Card in the Division is the Chicago Cubs, at 30-30 they haven't got going yet, and they don't have any hitters hitting above .300, so I can see them really lifting the rest of the season.

If I was to pick a team to win the NL Central, it'd be the Cubs as I think they have the MOST room for improvement, but don't count out the Astros and the Cardinals ALWAYS find a way.

Should be a great season ahead with around 100 games to go in the MLB Season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
willyhbhs
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:59 am

Dam the red sox blew one today. was watchin on MLB TV. smoltz was looking strong pitching 4 very solid innings til the rain came, then didnt return after the lengthy delay. the red sox bull pen is widely seen as the best across the entire league so having a 9 run lead entering the 7th should have meant it was game over. however masterson, okajima, saito all struggled big time. the intensity was not there to finish this one, ended up going down 11-10. unbelievable. nice win for orioles though. biggest comeback in franchise history i think. especially good for a team who had lost 12 of their last 13 against the red sox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:34 am

Here's the Standings as we're now at the All-Star break:

American League -

AL East
1] Red Sox 54-34
2] Yankees 51-37
3] Rays 48-41
4] Blue Jays 44-46
5] Orioles 40-48

AL Central
1] Tigers 48-39
2] White Sox 45-43
3] Twins 45-44
4] Royals 37-51
5] Indians 35-54

AL West
1] Angles 49-37
2] Rangers 48-39
3] Mariners 46-42
4] A's 37-49
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:34 am

National League -

NL East
1] Phillies 48-38
2] Marlins 46-44
3] Braves 43-45
4] Mets 42-45
5] Nationals 26-61

NL Central
1] Cardinals 49-43
2] Brewers 45-43
3] Cubs 44-43
4] Astros 44-44
5] Reds 42-45
6] Pirates 38-50

NL West
1] Dodgers 56-32
2] Giants 49-39
3] Rockies 47-41
4] Diamondbacks 38-51
5] Padres 36-52
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:35 am

Well as you can see, it's the Dodgers that have the MLB's best record at the halfway mark of the Season.

Here's my Predictions for what's to come for the second half of the season.

AL East: I think it's going to be a battle to the final week of the Season between the Red Sox and Yankees. If the Sox can make a trade and get another decent hitter in the line-up, then I think it's their Division for sure. While for the Yankees, the starting pitching is the key, they need to get maximum Innings out of guys like Sabathia, Burnett and Pettitte as the rotation is relievers are starting get over worked. Either way, I think both teams make the Playoffs, with the Sox winning the East, and the Yankees getting the Wild Card.

AL Central: At the moment the Tigers have a nice 3.5 game lead, but I'm not going to count out either of the White Sox or Twins at this minute. Again, the winner of the Division should go until the final week of the Season, I'm going to go with the Tigers, just ahead of the White Sox because I think they're starting pitching with Verlander is a little better.

AL West: Really, it's anyone's chance between the Angles, Rangers and Mariners. I'd really love to see the Mariners get it, but I think the Angles experience will be the deciding factor. They won 100 games last season, they ain't doing that this Season but again I think their depth will get them the Division. They'll probably choke in the Playoffs though, as usual.

NL East: I really think this Division is already over. The Phillies are going to win it, and it's going to come down to whether the Braves can make a trade for a hitter to be a contender for the Wild Card, because the Phillies are too good.

NL Central: This is my Division of most interest, my beloved Astros are doing quite well at the moment, at 44-44 and only 3GB the leading Cardinals, they're primed to make a run. To me it's going to come down to whether the Cards can hold the fast finishing Cubs and Astros. I don't think they'll be able to, especially as I think Pujols won't be able to keep hitting HR's, he has 32 already this season and is on target for 55-60. For me, I'm going to go with the Cubs to edge the Astros, with the Cardinals in third. This is going to be the Division to watch though for the rest of the season, it's that close. The Astros and Cards could fight for the Wild Card as well I think.

NL West: I think this Division is also over. The Dodgers have it won. It's going to come down to whose going to take the Wild Card, and it's between the Giants, Rockies, Astros, Cubs, Cards and Braves for that. In the end I think the Giants will get it, as they have the best Pitching of the bunch, Tim Lincicum is a star! But I won't write off those Rockies, who are renown for their surges of W's when it matters most.

So in summary -

AL East: Boston Red Sox
AL Central: Detroit Tigers
AL West: LA Angles
Wild Card: New York Yankees

NL East: Philadelphia Phillies
NL Central: Chicago Cubs
NL West: LA Dodgers
Wild Card: San Francisco Giants
Back to top Go down
View user profile
willyhbhs
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:50 am

those are pretty solid predictions there sparky. i think the rangers can pull it out of the bag and overtake the angels in the AL west. i'm really not sold on the angels this year and although the rangers have a history of fading in the second half, this lineup looks much stronger this year. i think they will get there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manning18
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:09 am

Manny reuturned from suspension today. He didn't go too well with the Dodgers going down to the Astros 3-0.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manning18
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:08 am

Dodgers beating the Reds 4-3 at the bottom of the 2nd Innings. If anyones watching this, put it on mute because theres this commentator out there by himself going on about some shit that no-one gives a shit about. He also says the score every 2nd sentence.

Over 60 pitches were in the 1st innings with Manny still playing pretty average.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manning18
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:13 am

I spoke to soon. Manny with a home run!

Dodgers up 6-3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
willyhbhs
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:27 am

matt holiday could be a big pick up for cardinals. really not too sure bout the adam laroche pick up by red sox. i hope he can step up and prove my past opinions of him wrong
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:59 am

Matt Holliday is huge for the Cardinals, now Pitchers can't just Walk Pujols as Holliday Bats next up.

The NL Central is by far the most interesting Division of the 6, any of 4 teams can win it, although I did predict the Brewers would slump.

I maintain the Cubs will win the Division, just ahead of my Astros and the Cardinals although getting Holliday could put the Cards over the top.

As for Roy Halliday, the Phillies are still pursuing him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DB
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:05 pm

ive started to watch a bit of baseball now that i have one hd....

im liking it but still dont know much about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
a_F_c
Legend

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:11 pm

Dragon Bomber wrote:
ive started to watch a bit of baseball now that i have one hd....

im liking it but still dont know much about it.

hahaha so true
i watch it in the playoffs, picking a team each series i watch haha
i get into the world series a fair bit, without knowing much Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   

Back to top Go down

Official MLB Thread
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: US Sports-