HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  
Share | 

ESSENTIAL PUNK ALBUMS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: ESSENTIAL PUNK ALBUMS   Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Not enough love for the early punk albums on this forum so I thought I would make up this thread to educate you all in what punk albums are a must for any music collection.

RAMONES by the Ramones

Essential Punk Album number 1...This amazing album was the debut album by the greatest ever punk band the Ramones. It was released in 1976 and contains 14 tracks that all squeeze into half an hour.

Key Tracks: Blitzkrieg Bop, Beat On The Brat, 53rd and 3rd.

LONDON CALLING by The Clash

Essential Punk Album number 2...London Calling is the third and the best album released by The Clash. The album came out in 1979 and ranks at number 8 on the Rolling Stones 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list.

Key Tracks: London Calling, Train In Vain, Guns of Brixton

NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS, HERE'S THE SEX PISTOLS by the Sex Pistols

Essential Punk Album number 3...Talentless losers or Kings of Punk Rock, never mind what you think of the Sex Pistols, this album will always be known as one of the greats of punk. Released in 1976 it remains the only official studio album the controversial punkers ever released.

Key Tracks: Anarchy in the UK, Holiday in the Sun, God Save The Queen

FRESH FRUIT FOR ROTTING VEGETABLES by the Dead Kennedys

Essential Punk Album number 4...This is the debut album by the Dead Kennedys, it was released in 1980. These guys were the pioneers of hardcore punk!

Key Tracks: California Uber Alles, Let's Lynch the Landlord, Holiday in Cambodia

WALK AMONG US by the Misfits

Essential Punk Album number 5...The Kings of Horror Punk released this album in 1982. Its an awesome album full of some of the greatest hardcore punk tracks ever.

Key Tracks: Mommy Can I Go Out & Kill Tonight?, Skulls, Astro Zombies

PUNK IN DRUBLIC by NOFX

Essential Punk Album number 6...Not only is the album cover awesome but so is every song on here. Easily NOFXs best album and highest selling. This 1994 release was certified gold without even getting any radio play.

Key Tracks: Linoleum, Don't Call Me White, The Brews

SMASH by The Offspring

Essential Punk Album number 7...released in 1994, it was this album that got The Offspring mainstream attention. 15 years since its release it is now seen as a classic punk album that bridges the gap between old school punk and mainstream punk.

Key Tracks: Come Out and Play, Self Esteem, Gotta Get Away

ROCKET TO RUSSIA by the Ramones

Essential Punk Album number 8...another album from the legendary Ramones. This album was released in 1977 and was the Ramones 3rd album. 14 songs in just over 31mins

Key Tracks: Sheena is a Punk Rocker, Cretin Hop, Teenage Lobotomy

DOOKIE by Green Day

Essential Punk Album number 9...despite what has become of this band (the sell-out status that has been put upon them) there in no denying the greatness of this album. This album came out in 1995 shortly after the death of Kurt Cobain. With the end of Cobain many beleived Green Day, with the help of this album, would take the place of Nirvana as "the teen band"

Key Tracks: When I Come Around, Basketcase, Welcome To Paradise

NO CONTROL by Bad Religion

Essential Punk Album number 10...Remains one of the best selling punk albums. Released in 1989 it was Bad Religions 4th album and my personal favourite of theirs.

Key Tracks: You, Big Bang, I Want To Conquer the World

THE CLASH by The Clash

Essential Punk Album number 11...the self titled album by The Clash was their first full lenght album. Released in 1977 it managed 77th spot on the Rolling Stones 500 Greatest Albums

Key Tracks: Remote Control, White Riot, Londons Burning

ENERGY by Operation Ivy

Essential Punk Album number 12...the most important album of the ska punk genre, without it ska would not be what it is today! The only LP released Operation Ivy came out in 1989

Key Tracks: One of These Days, Knowledge, Vulnerability

...AND OUTCOME THE WOLVES by Rancid

Essential Punk Album number 13...an album with a heavily ska influence, it was released in 1995 and remains Rancids best seller. It helped revive mainstream interest in punk rock in the mid '90s

Key Tracks: Time Bomb, Roots Radicals, Maxwell Murder

ENEMA OF THE STATE by Blink-182

Essential Punk Album number 14...this album is as hot as the nurse on the front cover. Released in '99 it remains the second highest selling pop punk album of all time, behind Dookie. My teenage years wouldn't have been the same without it.

Key Tracks: What's My Age Again?, Mutt, All The Small Things

FULL CIRCLE by Pennywise

Essential Punk Album number 15...dedicated to Pennywise bassist Jason Thrisk who commited suicide months before the album was released. This Pennywise album was released in 1997.

Key Tracks: Society, Fight Till You Die, Bro Hymn (Tribute)

INFLAMMABLE MATERIAL by Stiff Little Fingers

Essential Punk Album number 16...Northern Island punk band Stiff Little Fingers debut studio album. Epic album best listened to LOUD!!!

Key Tracks: Suspect Device, Wasted Life, Barbed Wire Love

Well there you have it, the punk albums I think everyone should own, these aren't the only ones, just I cant be bothered doing any more!

LONG LIVE PUNK ROCK!!

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Megadeecee
Guru

PostSubject: Re: ESSENTIAL PUNK ALBUMS   Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:26 pm

great effort there hendo
I own both Ramones , Sex Pistols, The Offspring, Green Day. 5 of 16 i've always wanted the Dead Kennedy's one but just hasn't worked out for me. Next i'd like NOFX and then The Clash but i'm tryin to increase my Metal cd's first then alternative but Punks next Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
willyhbhs
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: ESSENTIAL PUNK ALBUMS   Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:00 pm

pretty solid list there! i own and have all them, great stuff! il throw a few extras in there. most these are a little bit more modern as hendo has most the odschool well covered.

How I Spent My Summer Vacation- The Bouncing Souls

Key Tracks: Gone, True Believers, Manthem, The Something Special

Pennybridge Pioneers- Millencolin

Key Tracks: Penguins & Polar Bears, The Ballad, No Cigar

Social Distortion- Social Distortion

Key Tracks: Story of my Life, Ball and Chain, Ring of Fire

Do Or Die-Dropkick Murphys

Key Tracks: Barroom Hero, Skinhead on The MBTA, Boys on the Docks, Do Or Die

Black Sails in The Sunset- AFI

Key Tracks: Malleus Maleficarum,God Called in Sick Today, The Prayer Position

I'll do a few more when i can be bothered but that what i got off the top of my head
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SBW
Guru

PostSubject: Re: ESSENTIAL PUNK ALBUMS   Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:01 pm

Too much time on your hands Hendo Wink

Awesome write up though.

I only just got London Calling, and have been loving it. Massive fusion of genres
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Damo
Guru

PostSubject: Re: ESSENTIAL PUNK ALBUMS   Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:10 pm

We are 138
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: ESSENTIAL PUNK ALBUMS   Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:27 pm

Haha when I'm at work I definitely have too much time on my hands.

Pennybridge Pioneers was about to get a mention but I finished work, its an awesome album.

I was also hoping to include some Social Distortion but couldn't decide on what album. Dropkick Murphys, I would of gone with Blackout

Other bands that I could have possibly thrown in there are, Black Flag, The Suicide Machines, Stooges, Anti-Nowhere League and Flogging Molly.

and Damo, Static Age is an awesome album, just not as good as Walk Among Us

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: ESSENTIAL PUNK ALBUMS   Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:29 pm

SBW wrote:

I only just got London Calling, and have been loving it. Massive fusion of genres

Yea that's what makes that album so awesome. A great mix of Punk, Rock, Ska and Reggae!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
willyhbhs
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: ESSENTIAL PUNK ALBUMS   Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:38 pm

Hendo Maroon wrote:
Dropkick Murphys, I would of gone with Blackout

its a good album but definately not the top

dropkick albums
1 do or die
2 the gangs all here
3= the meanest of times
3= blackout
5 the warriors code
6 sing loud, sing proud
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smashedmirror704
Guru

PostSubject: Re: ESSENTIAL PUNK ALBUMS   Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:52 pm

I think I would rate Never Mind the Bollocks higher if I knew nothing about the Sex Pistols
Back to top Go down
View user profile
willyhbhs
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: ESSENTIAL PUNK ALBUMS   Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:18 am

hendo you have to give rise against- revolutions per minute a real and fair go! such a great album
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brad
Guru

PostSubject: Re: ESSENTIAL PUNK ALBUMS   Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:48 am

Ramones (the album) and Enema are boss. 2 of my absolute favourite albums. Ive heard so much about London Calling ill definitely have to check it out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: ESSENTIAL PUNK ALBUMS   Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:17 am

willyhbhs wrote:
hendo you have to give rise against- revolutions per minute a real and fair go! such a great album

I used to like it about 3 years ago. But my mates killed it and I got sick of it. Like The Angel is still a quality track though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Niv
Guru

PostSubject: Re: ESSENTIAL PUNK ALBUMS   Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:40 pm

willyhbhs wrote:

Hence why I like it...I'd known little about them before listening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

ESSENTIAL PUNK ALBUMS

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 ::  :: -
Free forums | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Free forums